Saturday, March 3, 2012

Today's lesson: stress is a bitch

I have been a teacher for ALL of my adult life and 4 years prior to that. I have dealt with all sorts of parents, supervisors, co-teachers, policies and procedures, and not to mention a wide array of personalities and temperaments in my students over the 15ish years. You can say there were stressful times because there were, but none like the stress of the last 24 hours. We almost lost our dog because he swallowed a walnut-sized rock, which landed him in the hospital because as it was passing through his system it was tearing him up. My husband was a mess, I was a mess, we have a 10.5 month old baby that still needed to be cared for, and 3 cats who were in an instant cuddly, needy bliss with our dog's absence. It was until this morning, after we got the all clear/our dog is coming home, that I felt the full physical backlash of the last 24 hours - I had lost a pound and a half due to not eating or drinking, my body did not want to function, and I was exhausted. It was a hard day of recovery for me...recovering stress...who knew! My son was amazing today...he stayed mostly out of trouble, came to me when he needed to nurse, and only got into his trash can once. Wish I could say I taught my someone something, but it was just not one of those days.

No comments: