Friday, March 9, 2012

Today's lesson: environments


ECERS...if you're in the field of child development, then you know exactly what I am talking about. Just case you aren't, ECERS stands for Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale.  It is a thorough book outlining just exactly how to put together a learning environment; it was a book I lived by while working in programs that followed NAEYC standards or were actually accredited by them.  Since temporarily retiring from teaching pre-k, I found that it's been very easy to get "lazy" when it comes to intentional learning activities.  Lucky for me, babies are learning ALL the time just by observing and interacting with any environment they are in, but there is a definite lack of professionalism that I have found I miss since my temporary retirement.  It's also difficult when you are the only one holding yourself to a professional standard in your own home with your own child.  But now that my son is on the verge of toddler-hood, I decided I probably should not put off setting up a learning corner any longer.  After finding a steal of a deal on a local FB page, I had what I needed to create a learning corner in my living room for my son.  Taking into account age-appropriateness, variety, level of stimulation and challenge, toys and books were put in bins on shelves.  While the two top levels are still a little high for him to reach, I have no doubt he will quickly grow into it.

No comments: